Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Fun house

Where did I last leave you...

Ah yes the last journies of Berlin...=]

I woke up around 7am to get ready and set off on my journey to ballet class FINALLY after not dancing for a week - and man it felt good. Took the metro to the studio which felt amazing - it was also the first time Ash and I were separated and to take the train by myself gave me some immediate flashbacks to my travels on my own in Portland, Montreal, New York, Chicago, San Francisco - I love it =] I found myself smiling.

So I arrived at Marameo dance studio and took class from this older woman with some of the craziest hair ever - frizzy fro style yo! Thanks Brian Grannan for the suggestion!! Oh taking ballet class sent me on a natural high and I strolled the streets of Berlin as inset out to meet up with Ash at Alexanderplatz (which is basically one huge shopping center). Ash got a new camera (which the people fully paid for- a rarity these days to find such generous and genuine people) and I took ballet - couldn't see a happier pair walking down the street! After some window shopping and Thai food we headed to the German national history museum (the dutchess's palace I believe) which was interesting but we ended up being more interested in going the wrong way in the lay out and questioning if any of this history or artifacts are actually real. Our attention spans at this point were on the decline. Although the last part of the museum we went to was more modern art about the war - they even had part of the wall there (seeing it on the street in its actual place was more impacting though heh).

Then we went back to the hostel to rest for a bit - apparently I fell asleep for an hour and 15 minutes though when I thought it was only 15 min!! So after a much needed nap...we went back to our man Mr.Chan at the Vietnamese restaurant, ordered ourselves some Beck's, spring rolls, and pha soul while we told him about all our adventures =]. Upon our return, we showered quickly and then went to bed since we had an early flight for Amsterdam the next day.

Day 5: off to Amsterdam!!!
So time to wake up at 2:30 am to make our 7am flight and oh man why did we book it that early?! Because we are crazy. That's why, yes that is why. And by the way people EasyJet is interesting indeed! That whole " get to airport at least 2 hours prior to your flight" does not apply to this company. Once through security and you look at the board to see the gate number you take off from you'll notice they aren't listed...they decide to post the number at your boarding time and then it becomes a free for all - everyone on the same mission to beat each other to the gate and pick a good seat. Yes that is true too - you have a zone number to board but no seat number; they didn't even call out the zones for us! They opened the door and everyone goes through!

We exit the plane and we immediately start smiling - ENGLISH!!! We take the train from the airport and out smiles disappear as soon as the first announcement is made because its all in Dutch...but we get off the train and the first breath of air we said "yep we're in Amsterdam alright!". We get to Central Station, walk outside and our jaws drop as we start laughing with disbelief and wonderment haha.. "It's like a crazy Disneyland! Toon town! A fun house WOA! Too charming...". We get to our hostel around - 10:30 am or so and once situated in our rooms we definitely feel the hunger but sleep prevailed - so nap we did =].

We woke up and it was time to grab some lunch! We ended up at this cute cafe bar right knthe corner closest to our hostel and I had an apple walnut arugula Swiss cheese sandwich! Yes ladies and gentlemen, I did in fact have some cheese and it was DELICIOUS! Mmmm yes. Ok after lunch it was time to look on our fun map to find our first fun thing to do! We decided today would be a great day to go experience "The Heineken experience" - 90 minute tour (which was basically an awesome interactive museum with hot guys everywhere giving is knowledge!), 2 beers at the end, and a free hat due to the guilt they have because of renovation in one exhibit! Pretty sweet if you ask me!

Afterwards we wandered the city in circles! Yayness! It as getting darker and arrived at Anne Frank's house! We were going to go inside but it was a little too pricey to see a small hidden unfurnished bookcase - no offense to you Anne. ;]. Dinner time it was

We wandered more and found our way into a pub with great atmosphere! Mmmmm I broke a little more of my rules and had the tomatoe soul which I'm sure had cream in it but sooooo good mmmhmmmm. We chilled there for a few hours and then it was homeward bound. We took hit showers and then passed out. Man oh man.

Day 6: HJN And Maurice!
Went to dance again! Yay!! Took contemporary and ballet today at the Amsterdam Dance Center, HJN studios - almost didn't make it in time because I messed myself up in the directions...but got there nonetheless. Contemporary class was rolling around and diving into the floor AND everyone knew the combos already so I was lost on top of it. I ended up stretching on the side at the end. Ballet was awesome though. Carmen from Lines Ballet! Finally to have a contemporary ballet class felt SO amazing and she's stunning... I felt so recharged. Walking back to the tram after class put me in cloud nine -the cold air was so refreshing and invigorating after being so sweaty.

Once I met up with Ash back at the hostel we were out again to meet up with Maurice!!! Oh he is SOOOO lovely - I always have such a wonderful inspiring visit with him. =]. He has such a gear outlook on life and always so supportive and full of knowledge. =].

Well now I am off to bed! Got a morning train back up to Kiel tomorrow! Yay back to Nik but also sad because tomorrow will be the first day Ash and I will be separated!! ='[. And it wont be another week and a half before we see each other! In Paris though!!!! Ahhhh! Yessss.

Bon voyage Ash and goodnight all! Amsterdam was a fun house indeed

No comments:

Post a Comment